Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Mantle

Last year I wanted to create a Christmas Mantle that was not the norm...I decided to create some Christmas artwork and paint canvases to give my boring mantle some personality. I wanted at least one to have spiritual meaning, so we had a constant reminder of why we celebrate this time of year. I decided to paint one plain red (The coated needed for the background of these canvases took the most time. They need a lot of paint!) and hand painted the phrase, "For unto us a child is born..." For the two smaller ones I wanted to add some dimension. I decided to get some plastic candy cane sticks (harder than you think to find). I found some plastic candy canes, and after almost losing a finger, cut off the curved part. I then took a small wooden disc and painted it white to help center the sticks to create a sunburst. I found a wooden R and painted it and decided it would look good on an ornament for the third canvas. This year I decided to add some additional items to the arrangement (in addition to my stocking hangers). To give it some height, I added a wooden reindeer and a white birch tree. The tree wasn't high enough, so I put it on a candle holder to give it some flare and hight. The final touch was a Christmas Cactus, since it went with the season. Since I have a window above my fire place (weirdest place for a window and quite the decorating challenge!), it creates the perfect spot to boost plant growth. We'll see if I can get this Christmas cactus to bloom again!

No comments:

Post a Comment