Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How NOT to Make Cake Pops

Like everything else, working in the kitchen takes practice...and in my case, it takes more than the average person! Mom bought me a cake pop maker for Christmas so I thought I would try it out. It does a wonderful job making the perfect little round cake balls. After making 48 of them (it makes 12 at a time, 5 minutes each batch) I knew it was going too well. I used the recipe book to make the frosting. I combined a can of chocolate frosting with [a liquid ingredient I can't seem to remember] and microwaved. It came out like a donut glaze and dripped all over the place. It was really yummy, but couldn't hold it's shape or harden. Take two! I had some white chocolate chips and I started to microwave those slowly as indicated on the bag. After burning the first batch, I had to try again. This is a very slow process, only 30 seconds at a time! Well, as you can see, they did hold their shape and harden, but stuck to the cake pop stand...So, after much help from the FaceBook community I learned: 1. Use candy melts. They are much more successful. 2. Stand up cake pops to harden and dry. I'm not giving up yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment